Steps to take if your pet is lost
In the event of a disaster, whether it be natural, a lost pet, or a pet in need of emergency services, please refer to the convenient list of important numbers and steps to take!
Finding a Lost Pet
- Start Looking
- Create Flyers
- Post Online (Help Find Meech's' Friends, Lost Dogs of Central Illinois, personal Facebook page)
- Share other's posts
- Go door-to-door
- Call and visit local shelters, rescues, call veterinary clinics
Local Veterinary Clinic Telephone Numbers
- The Animal Clinic of Decatur 423-6907
- Bel Aire Pet Clinic 864-2614
- Best Friends Vet Care 877-1770 (Oakland) or 475-0400 (Eldorado)
- Brush College Animal Hospital 422-9393
- Cats Only 877-6207
- Decatur Animal Clinic 877-4244
- Eldorado Animal Hospital 429-2444
- Fairview Hospital for Animals 428-7709
- Northgate Pet Clinic 877-4393
- Pawsitively Pets Animal Hospital 428-1994
- Macon County Animal Control and Care Center 425-4508
HELPING A STRAY OR LOST ANIMAL
- Check for a Microchip: If the animal is not wearing a tag with the owner's contact information, a veterinary clinic or the Macon County Animal Control and Care Center can scan the animal for a microchip. Call in advance to see if an appointment is necessary and if there is fee, though most facilities offer this service free of charge for lost animals.
- Report the lost animal to Macon County Animal Control and Care Center- the animal's owner will be looking for it here!
- Post online to spread the word (Help Find Meech's' Friends, Lost Dogs of Central Illinois, personal Facebook page)
Lost or Found Animals
Contact Macon County Animal Control and Care Center 12-5 pm M-F, 12-4 pm Saturday
2820 E. Parkway Drive
Decatur, IL 62526
Lost or Found Animals After Hours
Call the Decatur Police Department non-emergency line before or after Macon County Animal Control and Care Center hours and Animal Control will be dispatched.