How to Adopt
Ready to adopt? Fill out an adoption application today!
All About the Application
When an application is completed through our site, it is electronically sent to Macon County Animal Control and Care Center. Adoption Coordinators review the application, contact necessary people (such as veterinarians, landlords, etc). Adoption Coordinators will call to notify the applicant if approved. Currently, there is no way to electronically check the status, however applicant's can call (217) 425-4508 x6 and ask about the status. Reviewing the application can take up to 24 hours.
- Once reviewed, you will receive a call regarding the status of your Adoption Application. An Adoption Coordinator will let you know if your application is approved/pending/denied. If your application is pending the Adoption Coordinator will let you know the next actions needed to move your application to an approved status.
- If you do not find the perfect match, the shelter staff will keep your application on file for 30-60 days.
- All adoptions are done on a first come, first served basis. The shelter is not able to hold pets for any reason.
- Once you have found the perfect pet for your home, an Adoption Coordinator will walk you through the finalization process. You will receive a copy of the adoption contract, medical history, proof of rabies vaccination, and a small bag of food. The Adoption Coordinator will ask to take adoption picture to share on social media.
- Payment for the adoption fee can be accepted in the form of cash, check or card.
- The adoption fee is typically $75. All pets are spayed/neutered, up to date on age appropriate vaccines, and micro-chipped. DMCASF provides funding for occasional adoption specials.
- All pets adopted into Macon County need to be licensed (register rabies vaccine) within 30 days of adoption. It is highly recommended it is done at the time of adoption. This can be paid for by cash or check only.
- Adopters taking home a dog will need to bring an appropriate sized leash and collar for the dog.
- Adopters taking home a cat will need to bring a carrier. Carriers can be purchased at the shelter for $5.00 if need be.
- The shelter staff has the right to deny any application for any reason.